Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jewelry Holder/ door repurpose.............

It is Frugal Friday over at the Shabby Nest, and this is my thrifty contribution.....................


I have this funny little old cabinet that holds shoes, but it has cute doors. So when one of the doors fell off I couldn't bring myself to throw it away.
What does one do with a door??


First I sanded it down so that I could paint it.


Then I white washed it. It took two coats of regular old bottled acrylic from the craft store. Then I sanded it down again so that it would look distressed.



Then I took a stamp and stamped it with brown oxide paint.



I did not try to make it perfect at all.
Perfect is overrated..........................................................
plus I planned to sand and fade the stamped sections anyway.




I bought a 9 pack of bronze 1-1/4" cup hooks from Target.



I screwed them into some of the stamped spots. I may go back and add more later.

I tied a brown ribbon on the knob................................................
just for fun.
I used a staple gun to fasten two pieces of brown ribbon to the back top to hang it from. Then I hung it in a sooo not glamorous wall in my closet. (A little anti-climactic, right?) But,...I know that it is there and it looks cute.



I love a good re purpose!! Now,...What ever will I do with the other door?



23 comments:

Wendy said...

So so cute! and I agree...perfect IS overrated!

Zuzana said...

I think you should publish a book on "How to do DIY with style".;)
It is gorgeous Holly, I am so in awe!
Have a great Friday,
xoxo
Zuzana

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I'm sure it makes that closet wall look like a million bucks.

The Starr Family said...

Meant to be! So thrilled to find this idea...just yesterday I organized the jewelry and was trying to decide what to do! Thank you!

Wendy said...

This is right up my ally - love it!

Adrienne said...

i really like this. my daughter could use one of these to hold her many baubles! very pretty.

Brittany said...

super cute! i need to make something like this, my jewelry is all tangled in a basket

msbits said...

Great idea! I've been needing a jewelry holder, this is inspiration I need to make my own! I loves it!

Anonymous said...

Wow - very creative! I love fleur de lis, and I've always thought jewelry should be thought of as wearable art - both for us and our homes!

Enjoy your day,
Zuzu

stephanie h said...

oh wow! I love it!

Delightful Dwelling said...

What a cute idea, I love it!

Ticking and Toile said...

That is totally adorable! Love it! I just found your blog & have enjoyed looking through your posts!

Shellagh

trish said...

Hi Holly!
I just pulled my daughter in here to see your creation and we both love it! She asked me to make one for her! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Jeanette said...

I can't even tell you how much I love this! Now, where to find a door...
Thanks for the idea!

Sally Wood said...

TOTALLY LOVE IT!!! Can you make me one?

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

How inspired, Holly!!! I saved the image to show to my daughters. I LOVE the way it turned out!
I also enjoyed strolling through your Fall decor' pics around the house. All your touches are wonderful!!
And I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the pendant. I'm in the middle of a big special order of pumpkins. I'd say check back the middle of next week to see if I got my act together enough to put more in the Shop or not. But no pressure whatsoever. I don't mind if they just sit there, because I'll put them back in again next year.
Take care,
M.L.

Leanne said...

I love how great that looks. It fun to use jewelry as decoration when you're not using it. Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

Love this and am totally going to try to make one too! I think I have an old cabinet door in my closet somewhere. I have all my necklaces on one hook so I definitely need more places to hang them. Thanks for the idea!

Misty said...

What a fun idea...I love this!!!!

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Love this!!! What a great idea and you did such a beautiful job. I love the brown paint with the bronze hooks, they compliment each other perfectly.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is great! I love how the hooks are in the stamped images. I'll be linking.

Embellished Bayou said...

So cute! I love the fleur de lis stamped on there and then distressed.

kousalya said...

congrats! keep up the good work/this is a great presentation.

Cabinet Doors

Related Posts with Thumbnails