Thursday, March 25, 2010

Powder Room Make-over.........

Our little main floor powder room used to be dark red. Don't get me wrong,...I like red. But the powder room is too tiny to be so dark and after four years of a red powder room I was ready or a change. I re-used many of the things I already had, so for just under $60.00 we were able to give our little toilette a refreshing makeover.


Before.........








After............

We chose a color called 'natural linen'. I couldn't help myself. The name alone...........ya know? Some of my husbands clients had some leftover wall treatment that they gave to us. It is not wallpaper, but it doesn't seem to be fabric either. (??) It is very nice so we decided to do an accent wall with it. My husband (the artsy- architect) couldn't just cover a wall with it.
Nope,...that didn't give it enough design interest.
Can't let anything be simple.
So I had to be patient as he cut it into perfect one foot squares and individually pasted them to the wall alternating the texture for a checker board effect. I am soo glad that I was patient. It turned out beautiful. He was right,...so right!! You can see just a corner of the accent wall in the next picture.


We switched out our shiny silver light fixture for a very inexpensive but much better looking brushed nickel fixture from Home Depot.


Couldn't help myself........had to buy that really cute little ruffled towel from Target. I know.........but it was my only real "splurge".
Re-used the art that had already been in there before. I did repaint a few of the frames that were ivory colored to a truer white so that they would stand out better against the now much lighter walls.



















It is bright and happy,.........I love it now. A big thank you to the hubby for all of his hard work. He is a really good sport! (although,...I don't think he was a huge fan of the red bathroom to begin with. :))
I am going to link this up to Frugal Friday at the Shabby Nest.
xoxox -Holls

5 comments:

Zuzana said...

It is beautiful Holly, you did so well. Love all the artwork as well, now your guests will excuse themselves to leave the table very often.;)
I like that you call it a *powder room*, I would call it a guest bathroom, or toilet, which somehow doesn't sound as sophisticated.;)
Have a great Friday dear friend,
xo
Zuzana

PS: I wanted to tell you how I laughed when you left a comment on my blog under your sons name the other day, I really wondered who it was that knew me so well and I knew not at all.;)) It was good you clarified it for me, or I would have been quite puzzled.;))
xo

Unknown said...

Oh my! It turned out incredible! Hubs did a great job on that wall paper! It looks so much more welcoming and calming. Great job!

Wendy said...

It looks great! Can't wait to see it in person!!! I mean I seriously. can. NOT. wait. Less than 2 weeks now!!!!!!!!

Kendra Goodrich said...

I love the red!!!! It makes such a statement. I keep wanting to do a red room and I'm totally inspired. What fun decor too!

MsB said...

Your powder room is beautiful. What color paint is that? It is lovely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails