Monday, October 13, 2008

Idea Thief

I am an idea thief,...and an image thief,...oh and such a tutorial thief. (but aren't we all really?) A magazine or catalog never escapes my house without being torn apart or cut to pieces so that I can harvest the fresh images or ideas. So here was my latest...I wish I could remember what catalog that I thieved this idea from so that I could give credit where credit is due, but none-the-less....I regret that I am not a better photographer, these pictures are all yellow-y. sigh...I digress...These fantastic little pumpkins that I fell in love with had to be mine. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I purchased three foam core(?) pumpkins from Micheals. I sketched out my 'BOO' and once again when the hubby wasn't home I sneaked the exacto knife. (That man has got to find better hiding places.) I carved out the letters, and a few little stars. I hoped that this close up would show the depth of the carving. Once they were carved I painted in the indentations with black acrylic. Easy as pie, and just too cute.

18 comments:

Kyle said...

These are amazing!!!! I thought the picture came out of a magazine... you are too clever!

Sally Wood said...

I love it! It looks perfect, like you used a stencil. Cool project, and great job!

cherry said...

You scetched the letters yourself? Wow. I can use a good rub on or my cricut cricket...but nOT freehand. YOu go girl. Brilliant. cherry

Valarie Lea said...

Ok, I am going to copy you! :)

By the way I love the music on your playlist. :)

Carla said...

Did you free hand those letters? Or how did you get the font and put it on the pumpkin? These are SOOO cute!
How big are your pumpkins?

Kari said...

I so love them--wish I were decorating for Halloween this year (probably my favorite holiday).

Wendy said...

Holls...those are totally awesome. (okay that sounded a little 80s-ish) When you described them to me, I had no idea how cute they'd be. I'm impressed!!!

Wendy said...

and hey, what are those penny rug thingies in the background? Do they have crows on them? Did you make them? Etc. etc. etc.

Wendy said...

Okay, and hey wait a minute...I just noticed your banner. Please tell me how you did it. I mean how you placed the text on the image. What program did you use?

Holly said...

Yes Carla I did free hand them. It is not that easy to control the exacto as you carve, so don't worry too much about your letters. Just get the general idea of where you want them, and it will be cute, cute, cute I promise.

and...Wendy, I am just going to have to call you! :)

Zuzana said...

Very beautiful! The yellowish color you feel is in your photographs only makes them look better, I think.

Meg said...

I too am a thief of ideas!!! Love, absolutely LOVE the pumpkins!

Tausha said...

Ok-I am pretty sure that these are some of the cutest "boo" pumpkins that I have around blogrand! I love that you used an exacto knife and then paint. Probably much easier than a magic marker to control? My dollar store still has some of these pumpkins, my wheels are turning for thanksgiving. I don't have a spare space in my whole house for one more spooky thing!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Super cute!

Free Art Printables said...

These are really cute! I'd buy them!

Darlene said...

Those turned out SUPER cute!!! Great job on them!

Unknown said...

These are adorable. My husband is always hiding his tools from me too! They just do that because we can use them better than they can,lol. Thanks for sharing this fabulous idea with us.

Julie said...

Holly
I love those pumpkins. I'm not allowed to use the exacto knife either but I also sneak when hubs is gone. I got 2 paper towel holders yesterday can't wait to fill them up! and yes ally loved her plaque now everyone on the team wants one!lol
Julie

Related Posts with Thumbnails